Saturday, December 27, 2008

a new toy and snobby joes

Mom and Dad gave me a gift card for my birthday and I used it to buy this:
It is a food processor on steroids, twice the size of my old one! I christened it by making cauliflower/spinach mashed 'potatoes'. (Wow, two whole heads of cauliflower and an entire package of spinach at once...)

Since I had a little $ left over, I also bought a cookbook I had wanted for awhile. While I was in the kitchen anyway I figured I might as well try out the recipe for Snobby Joes; so named because they are better than Sloppy Joes in every way.


Here are the ingredients. The finished product came out pretty good, but note for next time:
less chili powder (too strong), and watch the lentils more carefully (fell apart)

This was my first time trying red lentils, and they are really good. We tried them over brown rice, and wrapped in sprouted grain corn tortillas. I will be making this again for sure.
Thanks Mom and Dad!

7 comments:

Ariele O'Brien said...

sounds good, do you put anything else in your spinach/cauliflower mashed potatoes?

crabbylove said...

i steamed 2 cloves of garlic along with the cauliflower, when they were almost done i added the spinach to the steamer. then, processed them with some raw cashews (sorry mom), and some Spike seasoning- any no- salt seasoning would be ok. probably
raw cashew butter would have been better, but i can't find it

Ariele O'Brien said...

so you cooked the potatoes, steamed the veggies then mixed all those ingredients together in the food processor?

crabbylove said...

yup... except I left out the potatoes
:)

Ariele O'Brien said...

okay, so there's no potatoes in it, now I noticed the quotation marks. How's the texture? Feel creamy like potatoes? Still sounds delicious. How much was the bigger food processor? I still have to cut everything in half or quarters to fit it in the old one.

crabbylove said...

The 'mash' could be thicker, but the spoon will stand up in it. I think if I used the raw cashew butter instead of the nuts, it would be thicker, or maybe just add a potato. I love the color though, when you add the spinach it turns bright neon green.

crabbylove said...

Oops, I forgot to add that the food processor holds 14 cups (at least that is what is says on the box).It was around $50.

Vitamin Wheel

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs