Wednesday, December 24, 2008
a tale of two pies
I made a chocolate silk pie, and 2 apple cobblers for Christmas. I am not sure if I am brave enough to take them with me to the dinners. Mom said she liked them at Thanksgiving, but she was probably just being polite. (My taste buds have adapted to food without lots of added oil, salt, sugar, cheese, etc...so they taste good to me.) The thing is I don't really care if anyone likes them, I just don't want to waste them. What I mean is it is totally fine with me if someone doesn't eat it, it won't hurt my feelings at all. But they are good, and I would rather keep them for myself if no one is going to like them anyway.
The apple cobbler is made with apples, apple juice, dates, cinnamon, and arrowroot powder. The topping is oats, walnuts, date sugar, and cinnamon.
The chocolate pie is the texture of a thick cheesecake. It is really rich, I can only eat a small piece at a time. Actually I could probably eat the whole thing at once, even if I made myself sick. That's it, I am keeping it for myself. This decision is rationalized by the thought that no one else will like it anyway. Right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I don't think you're being fair...they both sound great and you and Mother both eat 90% bitter chocolate, she's a lot like you. She doesn't like things that are very sweet. And as for the Apple Cobbler if I had arrowroot I'd make that right now! I have all the other ingredients and it sounds and looks delicious. I totally agree that Dad might not go for the Chocolate silk pie because he is a sweet hound and it definitely would never fly with John, my sugarholic, but I think Mother would probably like it. Though, if you don't want to share because it's so yummy than that's understandable for a different reason. Don't discredit your food, we really liked that bean casserole you made for us when you were up here! I miss everyone so much. 'Wish we were there tomorrow. Love you much.
You could use cornstarch to thicken up the cobbler.
By the way, you never got to finish telling me,who is going to eat all of the cookies John made? Did you take pictures of the kitchen / cookies? Where did he learn to bake like that?
I wish you were here too, or we were there. Merry Christmas!
That was your apple cobbler on Christmas Eve?! I really enjoyed it. I could tell it didn't have all the junk I'm so used to in it. I need to learn a thing or two from you so I'm not such an addict with the sweets, oils, and preservatives. I din't see the Chocolate Silk Pie though, did you really save it for yourself?
Some time in the future (?) John says he WILL post the pictures I took from start to finish with his traditional Holiday baking. Did you read Annie's comment--I told you the food you make is good--it doesn't need the fats and junk to have flavor!
PS: I did like both of the pies your brought. I finished what was leftover in a matter of three days.
Remember, as riversedge sez-I love the 90% and I love licorice and I love ginger...
Your chocolate pie was great!
Yes, I saved the chocolate pie for me. There, I said it.
Annie, I'm glad you liked it. Since there was a giant apple pie sitting right next to it, I didn't think anyone would even try it.
Mom, I would be happy to make you one if you would like, just let me know. :)
Post a Comment