Friday, April 16, 2010
I Miss Him
My neighbor told me there was a basset in the pound, so I went right away to check it out. They brought him out to a little get acquainted area. He greeted me like he already knew me and had been waiting for me to come pick him up. Honestly, the look in is eyes and on his face said, "Oh, there you are. I've been waiting. Well, come on, let's go." So I filled out the papers, paid the fees, and brought him home right then. Smart, happy, sweet, funny, and in perfect timing for my sister's graduation. The last time I visited my sister, as I was getting ready to go, I got on the floor and gave him lots of hugs and kisses. I told him he was a good boy and I loved him. I remember thinking, "He's getting old, I'd better give Boo extra goodbyes, what if I never see him again?" So, now it's true. And I miss him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Me too, Boo was the BEST gift I ever received! I've told people that too (in icebreaker games)...sometimes, often actually, I dream about him, then I wake up :*(
I still haven't faced certain tasks--not ready yet. I bought him a picture frame urn and I can't pick pictures yet. I've tried a few times.
I did write about him, but haven't posted it anywhere yet.
And the other day I got whammy-ed by our last hours together--I took pictures of his sweet face and me in his actual cage at the Animal ER. Somehow I knew they'd be the last I'd take of him. They let me sit with him in it. He laid his little head on my thigh and rested--hugged me and gave my fingers some kisses.
He was so old, yet that wasn't what killed him--that's why I'm so sad. Why was he such a food hound? I feel like I was robbed of time he still had left with us.
He was such a great dog and I loved all of the quirks that most people found annoying--like his chattering and talking back and his ability to think and reason and clearly plot and plan things out. I loved that he was smart enough to get to ANYTHING he really wanted and that he'd always leave the wrappers to the gum or chocolate he'd get into.
Anyway, I've thanked you in the past, but I want to again. Thank you for getting me Boo. I feel like I've paid it forward with my friend Janet. I rescued her a Basset named Watson and he is a sweet boy. He has the same mellow disposition of Shady. But he's not as smart as Boo.
:*(
Post a Comment