Just thought I would update since this blog kinda started with them. I have 17 of the little guys; a mix of strawberries, Caribbeans, Ecuadorians, and one other kind whose name escapes me at the moment. I have not had a death in the tank for a least 1.5 years. The secret to keeping hermit crabs alive in captivity is the quality of the saltwater. I bought a big container of ready made saltwater petco and I have not lost a crab since. They like to climb and bury themselves and trash the tank. Lately several of them have been piled in the corner near the heater, they just sleep in a stack. They don't eat much. Mine live on branches and leaves from our oak tree, dried baby shrimp, dried fruit and oats, and the occacional branch from a mangrove tree. They also like to eat earthworm castings (looks like dirt). I have all but given up on keeping track of individuals cause so many of them look so similar, and they change shells. But there are a few that stand out: Mumper with his grumpy attitude and his missing antenae. Baby with her bright purple claw. Klinger cause he is kinda small, but i'm not 100% sure about him. Anyway, they are fine, although their tank is totally trashed at the moment. Geuss that is one more thing to add to my list.
Friday, December 12, 2008
about the crabs
Just thought I would update since this blog kinda started with them. I have 17 of the little guys; a mix of strawberries, Caribbeans, Ecuadorians, and one other kind whose name escapes me at the moment. I have not had a death in the tank for a least 1.5 years. The secret to keeping hermit crabs alive in captivity is the quality of the saltwater. I bought a big container of ready made saltwater petco and I have not lost a crab since. They like to climb and bury themselves and trash the tank. Lately several of them have been piled in the corner near the heater, they just sleep in a stack. They don't eat much. Mine live on branches and leaves from our oak tree, dried baby shrimp, dried fruit and oats, and the occacional branch from a mangrove tree. They also like to eat earthworm castings (looks like dirt). I have all but given up on keeping track of individuals cause so many of them look so similar, and they change shells. But there are a few that stand out: Mumper with his grumpy attitude and his missing antenae. Baby with her bright purple claw. Klinger cause he is kinda small, but i'm not 100% sure about him. Anyway, they are fine, although their tank is totally trashed at the moment. Geuss that is one more thing to add to my list.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Cool shot of the crab is (s)he on glass?
He or she is in a plastic container in the front yard. It is kind of hard to take good pictures of crabs for some reason.
Post a Comment